Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Everglades

It was National Parks Week this week. The entrance fees were waived at all the parks. So I decided that it would be fun to go down to the Everglades. I invited our new friends to go with us. The forest was amazing. We only hit the top part that is closet to Naples. So we didn't even scratch the surface. We only had to travel about an hour. This is a picture off of one of the boardwalks. I decided that boardwalks in alligator infested swamps was the best way to go. I didn't really want to walk with them.This deer was just a feasting away. It didn't even seem bothered that we were there. It stood in the water and ate the green stuff off of the top.
The kids are taking a break in the Tiki hut. From left to right: Alex, Nate, Chelsey, Janiel, Ashleigh, Emily, Erin, Wes, and Kara. Quite a crowd. We have enjoyed spending time with the Adcocks. Brent studies with their dad. So Lisa and I figure we might as well spend time together. We have had a couple of adventures. Janiel likes to be with Chelsey and Emily. We are greatful to have them as our friends.
This is the backside of the kids looking at a huge alligator sunning himself. Good thing for the chain link fence!!!This is the monster that we saw. He was probably about 10 feet long. I wondered if he was alive, and just then he had the biggest yawn ever.
This only half of the yawn. I wasn't quite fast enough on the camera. The kids liked that.
The kids were looking in the water at some small fish. We watched some people launch their canoe and kayak. I'm not sure if I would like to navigate down the same rivers as alligators.
Kids love water. They are just drawn to it! We had to pull them away quickly.
Kara and Janiel are taking a break on the picnic table. They thought they were ready for lunch at 10:30. We held them off until a little later.
This is the boardwalk that we saw the huge alligator off of. We also saw two swimming the water. We also saw a turtle. On the other boardwalk we saw two snakes, a small alligator, a tiny turtle that was the size of a silver dollar, the deer and many beautiful and amazing trees and flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment