Saturday, July 13, 2013

Nicole's (and Janiel's) Birthday!

There are a lot of pictures for our trip.  If is picture is worth a thousand words, then I have saved at least 500,000 words! Pictures bring back the wonderful memories of our trip.  I'm glad it can be preserved and documented this way!
 We were greeted by cute Alli, the dog.  The girls missed Alli and wanted me to take a picture of her.
 Melanie had to go to work for a little bit in the morning, so the girls decorated flip flops while we waited.  We were going to do this for Janiel's party with friends, so we brought some to do in Oregon.
  They even made a pair for the moms.
  The Smiths have a gorgeous view out their back.  Their home is beautiful and the area that they live in is beautiful!


They are surrounded by green--orchards, vineyards and Christmas Tree farms.

 Melanie brought home some yummy cinnamon rolls.  So we sang a little happy birthday to start the day off.
Macey was learning to light matches and candles.  She was a pro by the end of this day.
  I usually never get a birthday picture because I am the one behind the camera.  That wasn't so this year.  Melanie made sure there were plenty of pictures!

We stopped by the Smith's new office.  They are working at building a successful Charles Schwab business.
We got a tour of the nice office.
Our next stop was Salem's Carousel.  It was really fun for the girls.  They rode it at least ten times.  And this is why.
The Rings! 
 They had a fish with rings in its mouth.  As you went by you could grab the rings out. 

 And if you got a bronze ring, then you got another ride for free.

 And so it went.  Around and around.
That is why Macey chose the tallest, outermost horse to ride.

Melanie and I only rode a couple of times.  That was enough for me.
 Melanie was tricky to get a picture of us together in the mirror.
  
 Janiel getting the rings. 
 
 Macey even got so good that she could grab two rings.  That made the workers smile.
  I loved this horse.  It reminded me of Florida. 
Next door, they had a workshop.  It was open so that we could see the carousel artists at work.
They were working on an elephant and a frog.
  I think they were repairing this horse.

 One was painting the ear and one was painting the head and they were trying to match.
It was pretty impressive.
After the carousel it was to the gift shop.  And it took some contemplation to decide on the perfect animal.
The final choice was Piglet, the pig, and Eeyore, the raccoon.
 When you are with your best friend, there are no worries.
 
We went downtown to have lunch.  We ate at a cafe called the Wild Pear.  We ate outside.  It was so enjoyable.

 Of course the new friends had to come along!
 
We walked a little of downtown.  We stopped in an old opera house that has been made into a mall.
An old, huge cathedral.
Next we went to the capital of Oregon...Salem.
It was an impressive building! 
 

 



Macey had a track meet that afternoon.  We were glad that we could be there to watch.  What a cute runner!


 It was pretty toasty at the track meet.  So we stopped to get a frozen yogurt at the Green Apple.  
What a selection. 
 You could choose a variety of flavors and add toppings. Then you just paid by the weight.

 Parker and Macey enjoying their treat.
 It was very refreshing and yummy.
I just couldn't get enough of their beautiful view.
 Macey and Janiel busied themselves by throwing dolls on the roof!
 And tying a balloon to Alli. 
 Melanie was so sweet to make our birthdays special.
Even with balloons...
   And birthday glasses...
 And birthday hats...
 We also got to celebrate with John.  He and I share a birthday.
 We had marionberry pie for our birthday treat.
 Delicious!
 I think we wore some girls out.  It was a birthday that I will never forget.



1 comment:

  1. So glad you both got such a great birthday surprise!!! Looks like Oregon is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete