Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ashleigh's Broken Finger

Some may have noticed this plant in our front entry way. You may not have noticed what a heavy pot was under the ivy. Ashleigh found out the hard way. On Monday, July 5, 2010, I was mopping so I moved everything onto the rug in the living room. Kara was sitting on a chair and kicked the stand over. Ashleigh tried to catch it. She saved the pot, but her finger was smashed between the pot and the floor.
It smashed it so hard that it split the skin open (on the other side-I'll spare you the gory picture). Luckily Brent was home studying, so he came to the rescue. I was on the couch holding Ashleigh while Brent bandaged the wound. My natural fainting tendencies kicked in (thanks to my Mom and Dad) and soon Brent was taking care of a wound and a passed-out wife. Lucky for Brent I was sitting on the reclining part of the couch and he could just flip my feet up.
Brent wrapped it up nice. He was cleaning it before Ashleigh went to bed and it was looking a lot more bruised and swollen. So I decided to take her to the E.R. I didn't think I had time the rest of the week as I was trying to get us ready to go to Utah on Friday. I thought that they took wonderful care of us in the E.R. We got right in. They even had a pediatric section there, so we saw a pediatrician. The longest wait was for the radiologist to look at the x-ray. Ashleigh was so cute. She talked the entire time to the hospital, while there, and on the way home. She isn't our talkative one. She kept asking if we could go home. We had an older male nurse. He was wonderful and kind. So she said, "Ask the Bishop if we can go." Kind of cute. We were there about two hours.
The radiologist said that the top bone (I'm sure it has a name) in her finger was broken. So they put a splint on it and told us to report to an orthopedic doctor in a couple of days. Again, I didn't have much time in the week. So in the morning I called a pediatric orthopedic clinic and they could get me in that day.
They did another x-ray and found that both the top and middle bones were broken. It looked like a split. It is called a tuft fracture. Lucky Ashleigh got a cast on from the top of her fingers down to her elbow. They left her finger and thumb out so that she could have some use. It seemed a little extreme for a middle finger, but who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment