Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Creatures Emerging

Now that it is summer, we are seeing more and more creatures. Big and small. There is a lot more road kill, armadillos, possums, turtles, and birds. There is definitely more spiders, bugs, and other creeping things. This is a jelly fish that Wesley caught at Key Largo. It is probably the size of a quarter. It was swimming and looked pretty cool in doing that. This is a great white heron that we saw at Key Largo. It was quite large. I guess that is how it gets its name.
We were coming home one night and the deer were out. I have been seeing a mommy deer and her twins the last couple of months. So here they were, just standing on the edge of their forest. The babies are getting bigger and it is fun to see. Yesterday I saw a buck with some antlers on him.
We stayed the night in Florida City down by Key Largo. When we woke up in the morning, there were all these beetles laying on the pavement. They were large. Some were alive and most were dead. Then a few minutes later, a worker came by and swept them all up. I should have asked what they were. So I have searched, and haven't found what they are. So when I find out, I will let you know.
This turtle came cruising through our back yard. It was just starting to downpour. I think he is a Florida Red-bellied Turtle.
Not sure what this one is.
While looking for the other bug, I found this identification. It is a crane fly. We see quite a few of these in our front entry way.
We also see many dragon flies, yellow butterflies and mud dauber wasps. We also found three weird egg sacks, so I went to smash them and out crawled a black widow. She didn't last very long. I didn't pause to take a picture either. Gives me creeps, just typing about it. Imagine if we let the eggs hatch, hundreds of black widows in our lanai!!! So I am sure that the creepy crawlies are just starting to emerge!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I LOVED all these posts! I feel like you are on extended vacation and we get to read about and see all the COOL things you are doing and learning! I love it all! Keep these amazing posts coming! But, I still miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out what the huge bug from the hotel was. They called it "Palmetto Bug". If you look that up online, they say that is a fancy name for "American Cockroach". Yuck.

    ReplyDelete