Erin had a fever on Friday, Ashleigh had one on Saturday, and Kara on Sunday. The twins' fever lasted less than a day and medicine helped to control it. Kara's was just slight, so we gave her medicine (I later find out it is recalled Motrin) and went off to church. She didn't feel warm anymore, so we felt she was fine to go to nursery. An hour into nursery, her teacher comes running into Sharing Time and says, "Kara is having a seizure!!!!!" I run. Brent ran after. And sure enough, my baby is in a very sad way. Two nurses in the branch were already in the nursery room helping Kara. She had it for about a minute. It sure seemed a lot longer to me: but I didn't watch the clock. She was unresponsive after, but breathing. Someone called 911, so paramedics showed up but she was able to receive a priesthood blessing before. Kara and I got to ride in an ambulance to the hospital. I had to ride up front in a seat belt because of legal issues, but I could talk to her. She slept most of the ride, but started to cry when the paramedic put ice packs on her to try to lower her temperature. Her temperature on the ambulance was only 101. Not a high fever. Brent took one of the member's cars and met us at the hospital. The branch members watched after our kids still at church. They had a lunch after church, so they fed our kids and then one of the families took them to thier house in our car. What a relief to know the other kids were being cared for. Janiel was quite upset, the twins didn't really know what was happening, and Wes said he felt really shakey. At the emergency room, they did some blood tests, urinalysis, and a chest x-ray to test for pneumonia. They gave her an IV so they could draw blood and then in case they needed to give medicine later. So the picture shows a "board" that protects the IV in her hand. We waited around for a couple of hours for results. Kara slept on and off. Poor baby. All of the tests came back normal. So they sent us on our way. Brother Rosen brought our car to the hospital to exchange it for his. It turns out it was a febrile seizure, which is caused by fever. What a day. It helped us to hold her a little longer and tighter. The highlight for Kara was getting two silly bands from one of the nurses. I ended up sleeping on her floor and waking up every 3 hours to give her some more medicine. I took her to the pediatrician the next day for a follow-up. By listening to her lungs, the doctor thought she had pneumonia. I'm not sure if she really does, but we are giving her the antibiotic anyway. She isn't coughing very much. It is three days later and she is back to her teasing self. Glad to have her back.




How scary for all of you. Sorry to hear that this happened. Hope it never happens again.
ReplyDeleteThat's scary! It happened to someone in our ward's little girl. They never really figured out what caused it. I'm glad Kara is back to normal.
ReplyDeleteWow, scary! I am glad you were able to get some prompt medical help and that everything seems to be back to "normal." We'll say some extra prayers for you!
ReplyDelete