Monday, March 29, 2010

First Official Day of Spring Break

Our first day of Spring Break was full of animals. First thing this morning, I walked out of the garage and I saw a little tiny frog jumping. Wesley had fun making it a home. He decided to keep it until Dad got home so that he could show him. He knew we couldn't keep it forever because who would catch all the bugs to feed it?For the next adventure we were driving down the 45 miles/hour road. Everyone kept switching lanes at this certain spot. I thought they must be going around a stalled car. But when we got there, there was a turtle in the middle of the road. The light turned red and so Wesley hopped out and saved his little life. He moved him to the side out of the way of cars. Its shell was probably 15 inches long. His shell was covered in moss and algae. We looked it up and think it is a Florida Red-bellied Turtle. I only have a picture of it on my phone and I'm not sure how to transfer it to the computer.
So we decided to go to a different beach. This one is called Barefoot Beach. In the parking lot there were some Gopher Tortoises. We watched this one for a while munching on grasses and plants. There is a sign as you are leaving the beach to enter the parking lot that tells you the check under your car for any tortoises!!!

Kara is showing me some of the shells that she found. We always come home with lots of shells. More than a mom knows what to do with. We might have to be more selective.

I told them to stay out of the water. We hadn't planned on going to the beach. Our other plans fell through. I wasn't prepared for them to get wet. I should have known better. I have figured out that you cannot take kids to the beach and not touch the water. The kids all came home wet and sandy. Time to vacuum the car again and another load of laundry. Memories!!! This picture is pretty cute though. Kara is in the middle of Erin and Ashleigh.
Wesley took a jog down the beach and found this jelly fish that had washed ashore. It was probably 12 inches across. So he poked and prodded and turned it around. Kind of interesting.





4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for spring too!!! Your kids look great in their new clothes:) I thought you'd made the dresses until I read about the pink dress. I guess that would be alot of dresses to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is the best time of the year indeed. You have some fabulous pictures. Thanks for sharing them. The jelly fish is cool, I've never seen one. I bet it looked even better up close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of your warm weather. It is hailing at our house right now. The weather the last few weeks has been pretty yucky. Your pictures are so fun to see. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete