They say that love bugs are seasonal. But they say that this year was the worst ever! I don't remember them last spring, so they must be right. Love bugs usually come in pairs. The poor male has to walk and fly backwards. They live as adults only long enough to breed and make a mess all over cars. The female lays her eggs in the grass clippings and dies. The larvae feeds on decaying matter. I found out that they are attracted to the exhaust fume and hot engines. They sure make a mess out of cars. We found this out while going to the children's museum 40 minutes away.
While at the beach, Erin collected love bugs. She was saving them from the ocean and loving them. I think she did this because of their name. She is kind of a romantic-can't resist "love" bugs. She collected them all day and then we let them go after our day at the beach.
But after a few days of the bugs, one flew in the car. Erin squished it in her fingers and said, "I don't like love bugs anymore." So there.



No comments:
Post a Comment