Monday, August 15, 2011

Our Lake

There has been a fascination with our lake.  It is pretty amazing to look out our back window or door and see a lake.  There is always some animal activity out there, whether it is birds, turtles, fish, bugs, or alligators.  I think the recent addition of the alligator has increased the fascination.  
Janiel got this great shot of the alligator.
 Last week, Wesley decided to go fishing.  He took a net and caught about 10 minnows.  He got a vase with some of his polished rocks and was hoping to keep them as pets.  None of them survived more than five minutes.  He decided to move onto bigger fish.  
 He brought his tackle box to Florida, but somehow, his fishing pole stayed in Utah.  Bummer.  That didn't stop him.  He just tied the hook on some line and threw it out in the lake.  This is what he caught-without bait.
 He threw it back and tried again.  He caught (and released) five fish.  This was great because he was outside, occupied for about three hours. He had a lot of fun.  
When we feed the turtles, we also throw food out in the lake.  It is amazing as soon as the bread hits the water, something comes up and grabs it.  All you see is a splash.  I think it is this fish.  From what I can find, I think this is called Bluegill or some call it bream.  Some weren't as striped so I think those might be called Sunfish.  Anyone know? 
 
 The girls love to feed the turtles and fish and pick "flowers" for me.  


We do miss our forest view, we miss seeing the deer and hearing the chorus of frogs. The lake view does have some benefits too.  I'm glad that there are not any houses on the other side of the lake so that we can have a lake and a distant forest view.
The fountain was not working for a couple of days.  The water at times was smooth as glass.  It has been raining a lot and I just loved how the rain drops created small ripples in the lake.  Maybe I'm corny.  

2 comments:

  1. You amaze me with the pictures you capture that tell the great story of everyday life's moments. I need to take a few minutes to enjoy, document and record a few myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your posts, makes me feel like you are not really so far away! We miss you guys a ton,and can't wait till you are back! I am glad you are enjoying the experiences you are. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete