Monday, January 30, 2012

Wes: Worldquest Scholar

Wes is a good kid.  Sometimes he drives me crazy beyond words.  His favorite thing to do is bother his sisters.  It must be.  He is constantly doing it.  I'm sure part of it is because he gets the attention from me this way.  I tell him there are better ways, but he doesn't believe me yet. 
Wes has so many talents.  He is a good student, an artist, athletic, funny, and a loyal friend.  He doesn't complain about going to church (although he isn't the first one up and ready) and he has taken a challenge from his church leader to read the Book of Mormon every night.  We have tried to challenge him before, but this time he has taken the challenge.  I'm glad.  Which also makes me thankful for good leaders that my kids look up to and respect.
He was selected to be on a team for an Academic Worldquest Competition.  He went to school early every Friday to practice.  They were split into groups of four.  His school had three teams.  All the middle schools in the county competed.  Wes thought there were about 50 teams.  There were 10 rounds with 10 questions each.  The different topics ranged from flags, world leaders, historical events, current events, Nation capitals, landmarks, and others.
His group did great!  They won second over-all! Another Oakridge team won third.
I'm thankful for Wes.  I just hope we can survive the teenage years!
 This picture was rotated in my pictures, but when I put it in the blog, it rotated this way.  Not sure how to fix it.  Sorry!
 The kids in his group got a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble.  How fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. He is a good kid. And you will survive! I did once, twice and I know the feeling - hoping we survive the third time as well. Isn't there an old song, "I will survive!" I should find it. It could be our new private joke and theme song.

    ReplyDelete