Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Frustration

Back in December our landlord came over with a new lease to sign.  I was surprised to meet him, as we dealt with the neighborhood management company when signing.  He is a very nice man. Come to find out he lives on the next street over.  He chatted a while and was very friendly.  Long story short, the builders of our neighborhood went bankrupt and so now he was needing to do his own rental.  So in the lease it stated that he was putting it on the market and that the new owners would honor the lease.  We signed and gave it back.  Well, a couple of weeks after that we had a call from his wife saying that some people were in from out of town and wanted to look at the place in 45 minutes.  I was supposed to get 24 hours notice.  I said okay, but don't expect perfection.  So in 20 minutes they were here with the realtor.  He had on his fact sheet that we were done with the lease in January.  The people wanted to move in July.  I told him that we had signed again and were good for another year.  The people who were looking acted like they were done at that point.  So I didn't think anything of it.  But I got to thinking, we never got a copy of the lease back.  Might need that.  So I emailed the owners.  Nothing for a week.  Then tonight, as I was putting kids to bed, he knocks.  I guess he decided to come clean.  The home is a short sale.  The people who came to look put an offer in.  Just waiting on the bank.  He is not going to sign our lease until he knows what is going to happen with this offer.  Is that right?  We signed and are doing our part.  I should have insisted on a copy at that moment.  Shoot.  I am hoping that if the offer goes through that we can stay for 18 months.  If not, I guess we move from here in 6 months and sign a year lease somewhere else.  I do not want to move.  I love the neighborhood, I love the schools, I love the branch, I love the location.  Don't make me move!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know much, but sometimes short sales take a long time to get approved. It might buy you some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I can possibly think of is to quit paying your rent until he provides you a copy of the lease that you already signed! Money always talks. Otherwise tell him he will have to evict you, which is quite costly for a homeowner I believe... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tenants have rights. Though technically your contact only goes through Jan. You should look up something like: http://www.hud.gov/local/fl/renting/tenantrights.cfm
    I would simply tell him that you feel that you need a more secure place, and you intend to start looking immediately, unless you get a contract. If the house really doesn't sell until July he will be out all of that income once you move. Plus you may be able to find something else in your neighborhood- since it seems he intends to kick you out at his convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! Frustrating indeed! I hope things work out okay and that you don't have to move. One more upheaval is the last thing you need! Good luck! We'll pray for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I am so sorry! That is the pits. Good luck! We will keep you in our prayers. Let us know if we can do anything.

    ReplyDelete