Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lions, Tigers and Bears...or Alligators, Toads, and Bears, Oh My!

I am always amazed at the animals that appear here.  I guess, in Utah, seeing skunks, raccoons, or rattlesnakes might be adventurous to an outsider.  But here, there is a lot to see.  They probably just love the warm weather.  We can add a few more animals to our sighting list.  We have an alligator in "our" lake.  It seems to be fairly small, but we can only see his head.  I tried to get a picture one night, but the sun went down too fast.
If you look closely you can see the alligator's head.

The night function didn't work too good on the camera, but the alligator's eye sure reflected the flash.

Wesley caught this toad one night.  He was about the size of Wes' palm.

This shows the Heron that frequents our lake.  We watched him swallow a fish the other day.  It was big and he swallowed it whole.  He neck expanded as the fish went down.  He just wanders around, came to pay us a visit.
 This picture doesn't show an animal but this is where we saw a black bear.  We were on our way to church and the bear was crossing the pathway.  I'm not certain, but I think there was a baby bear too.  It was amazing to see in the middle of civilization.  There is a forest, where it lives, but people stroll along this path and sometimes with their little dogs!
We are certainly loving the adventures and the amazing things we are able to see!

1 comment:

  1. That's fun! I think the only unusual animal we've seen is a possum. Oh, there are some cool birds on the river:) Maybe I am just used to southern animals now.

    ReplyDelete