Monday, March 7, 2011

The End of a Love. . .

This love started back over five years ago.  Erin loved her thumb.  It was her true source of comfort-besides mom.  And to be honest, I loved it too.  She never lost it, she could put it in herself, and it was always there.  Ashleigh loved her Binky, but it "got broken" so we had to throw it away.  She was two when that love ended.  Erin kept loving her thumb.  Couldn't break it, couldn't throw it away.  When she turned four, she promised that she would stop sucking her thumb when she was five.  After all, five is practically grown up! So we reminded her all year long about quitting when she was five (couldn't let her forget her promise!).
Erin at 4 months old enjoying her thumb.
When Erin turned five, we asked her about quitting her sucking.  She said, "Five isn't very big!"  But we reminded her of her promise.  She said that we would have to put blankie away.  In a box.  So I took Erin's blankie and Ashleigh's blankie-couldn't let Ashleigh's become Erin's.  Here is a side note about the blankets. They were given to the twins when they were born by Aunt Esther.  Look how nice and shiny and bright they were in the top picture.  But over the years they were loved and washed millions of times.  At night, Erin liked the fuzzy side down, Ashleigh liked the silky side down.  Erin said that the fuzzy side kept her warm while she could rub the silky side while she sucked her thumb.  Had to keep that straight.
Which one was which?  It didn't matter for about four years.  Random selection.  Then Erin decided to chew gum with a blanket in her mouth.  So thus appeared a gum stain in one.  That was Erin's.  So then we had to  search the blankets before passing them out. Blankets had many names through the years including Daisy , Blankie, Blossom, and random words that they couldn't remember the next day.
Erin wanted so badly to have her ears pierced.  Janiel had to wait until she was 8.  But Erin persisted.  Daddy said, "If you can stop sucking your thumb, then you must be big enough for earrings." So once blankies were put away, Erin stopped.  It was hardest at night, when she was sleeping.  But she did it!!! When we checked her at night before going to bed, sometimes we would catch her. But I think she has stopped for good.
We were returning something to the mall in January and passed by the ear piercing store.  So the begging started.  We called Daddy and he said yes!  Erin chose Aquamarine- her birthstone and favorite color.  Erin wanted to go first.  I took Ashleigh for a walk while it was being done, just in case Erin fell apart.  She did awesome.  No tears.  She did better than I did when I got mine done.  That is a different story for a different time.
Ashleigh wanted hers done as well.  So she chose red- her favorite color but not her birthstone!  She didn't cry either.  What brave girls I have.
Kara decided that she wanted to wait.  That was fine with me.  I am so glad that Erin decided to stop sucking her thumb.  Hopefully it was soon enough to prevent buck teeth!  We'll see about braces.

3 comments:

  1. It's a hard habit to break, I tell ya! I think I sucked my thumb until I was 6 or 7. And, yep, I did have braces! (No buck teeth, though.) Way to go, Erin! She is truly a big girl now!

    Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Erin!! The ear rings look great on both girls:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know that can of worms that would have opened if you were in Utah? There is a reason you had to move to Florida and this just may be it!! Just teasing the girls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete