My Florida followers are going to laugh at this post. They might even need to correct me on somethings. But hopefully, my other followers can learn something!!!
Ever since we have moved here to Naples, I have learned a lot. A lot about Florida, the beaches, seashells, wildlife, birds, plants and animals. I have learned about the area-how to get from here to there. I have learned about the wonderful people here-most God-fearing, wanting to do their best kind of people. I've learned that there are two types of retired folk-ones who smile at children and ones who frown at children (usually no in between). I've learned that you don't have to have a big family to shop at Costco. You can just shop there for wine. But this post isn't about all that.
This post is about what I have learned about Gated Communities. Never thought so much about it in my life!!! There are a couple here and there in Utah. But here, almost all are. The communities entrances are beautiful-for the most part. They are landscaped with rock, water features, big signs, and beautiful flowers and greenery. I am constantly amazed at the beauty here-even at entrances.
| Not the greatest picture of ours. I'll have to take a better one, when I'm not driving! |
Our community (or neighborhood, as I would call it in Utah) is only closed after 7 p.m. My first experience was when a new friend came over one night. Called me on the key-pad box and said, "Hi, it's Melanie at the gate". So what do I do now? She said, "Push 9". So you dial 256 on the box, it calls me, and I push 9 on my phone and it opens the gate. So that is one kind of entrance.
We just scan a magnetic card here to get in. We don't have to call ourselves!
Tada! It opens (I think this picture of when it was already open.)
Or you can be sneaky and pull in behind someone before the gate closes.
The other option for visitors is the guard. If there is a guard, they will need to know your name, ask for ID, and check to see if you are on the "list". This guard knows me by name-I frequent her gate several times a week (this is where the Smiths live-either dropping Janiel off to play, Wes for scouts or to see Melanie).
![]() |
| This picture doesn't show too well all the flowers and water falls. |
If you live in a community with a guard, most likely you have a little bar code on the side of your car, that scans and opens the gate as you drive by. Tricky!
Or I have heard of others with a clicker, like a garage opener.
Some just have key pads to enter numbers to open the gate. Not sure if there are other kinds. But this is what I have learned so far. I have also learned, that you should ask before you visit someone if their community is gated.
My sister's friend asked if we were millionaires when she told her she was coming to visit us in Naples. It is quite a wealthy city-there are millionaires here. But for the most part, it is just a city that takes pride in its appearance. I'm glad.
| This is an archway to a community, Twin Eagles, that we pass every week on our way to church. |
The next pictures are taken at our friend's community in Bonita Springs, called Palmyra. These are just taken in an open, common area. Their entrance is also grand.
![]() |
| I'm not sure how to rotate the picture, sorry. |
So there you have some of my favorite entrances and how we get in.








What an ordeal - for friends and for our missionaries!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun place to live! It is so beautiful. I want some of those flowers in my backyard.
ReplyDelete