When we first moved to Florida, I was amazed with all the creatures around. They were so different ranging from alligators to dolphins to butterflies and spiders. Now that we have moved back to Utah, I am amazed with all the creatures around. They are all found in our yard.
(These pictures are courtesy of someone short.)
There is Tiger Lily.
And Jake, heading to play with friends.
This is Lily. Jake's friend across the street. They are almost identical. Jake is still slightly smaller, but he also has one dark ear and one light and the tip of his tail is white.
This is the next door neighbor, Tiger.
(Yeah, it does get a little confusing with Tiger Lily and Tiger and Lily.)
The kids found a katydid.
When we look at the backyard, we know there is so much potential. We can hardly wait to make it a place of enjoyment, rather of dread. Brent and Wes mow the weeds to keep them under control. Someday it will be a nice backyard. For right now, it is home to many creatures! The favorite spot for homes is to the right in the far back. The Wrights next door have a cement pad for their dog run. Animals have burrowed under from our side. It is quite an amazing maze, I'm sure! It is interesting to have half the yard be pasture in the back and half be mink farm. I like the pasture part best.
The farmer's pasture behind us is now home to deer. It was funny to see them for the first time. He used to have horses and cows and goats. He now keeps the horses and cows closer to his home. The goats still come out occasionally. I will have to post a video of the goats. They are fainting goats. If you scare them, their legs freeze and they fall over. It is kind of funny to see.
One day I met four new species in the back yard. It was a little bit of creature overload.
I saw this skunk wandering around looking kind of sick. He later just laid by the hole. He crawled in and was never seen again. Good thing.
Later that night, a mink escaped. The picture was blurry, but I didn't want to stick around for a clear one! They do escape every once in a while.
Then I noticed some activity back by the skunk. Can you see the eyes?
Tada! Isn't it cute! There are seven of them. Wes has managed to catch two. The mother cat is pretty good at herding them in the hole when danger is near.
There are four black and white ones, two gray and white, and a tabby like the mom. I think I'll let them get a little bigger then call animal control. They are kind of fun to watch playing on the little woodpile we have.
But the grossest of all the creatures came from Jake. We had him fixed, then he got diarrhea. Gross, I know. I thought maybe it was just the medicine they gave him. Then a couple of days later, he threw up.
Gross again. I thought he had swallowed rubber bands. When I went to clean it up, it was moving. So some internet research led to roundworms. So he has been on some medicine now to cure that. Gross. He seems to be doing much better.
Creatures all around. Some are for enjoyment, others are for excitement, others are for what? Something to research on the internet.



I love your posts! What an adventure and who knew it could all come from your own backyard! Miss you! All the time!
ReplyDelete