Friday, February 26, 2010
Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary
The kids didn't have school on President's Day so we decided to go to the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. It was a 2 mile boardwalk through swamp, Cypress Forest, and grassland prairie. It was beautiful. We saw many animals, including a yellow rat snake, raccoon, alligator, lizard, and many birds. This bird is an endangered one. It is called a wood stork.
This swampy area is called Lettuce Lake. The water is covered with something called Salvinia. It is a small floating fern.
I liked how green and full of ferns the swamp was.
This plant on the tree was called and air plant. It grows on the tree, but doesn't harm the tree. Supposedly they get beautiful flowers on them. The boardwalk was made out of hard wood from a Brazilian Forest. It naturally doesn't warp, so they don't have to paint or treat it.
Here is the little alligator that we saw. He was probably only 4 feet long. I was glad that we got to see one. The kids would have been disappointed if we hadn't seen one. After we saw the alligator Erin said, "Now I want to go see the zebras". She must have been thinking we were at the zoo. I had to chuckle at that. No zebras in the swamp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Cool adventure! I would have loved that! Thanks for helping us see some of your Florida lives through pictures and newsy updates!
ReplyDeleteAlso, how awesome is your church building? It is amazing how much we have in UT and take for granted. The Spirit can always be there, no matter what the surroundings are. I am sure your branch is super happy to have your family there!
We miss you!
I would have wanted to see an alligator too. Awesome adventures you are having. Enjoy the warm weather there, I would love to be in anyplace warm right now.
ReplyDeleteIt worked I see the ocean back ground! Cute! I loved talking to you today! You always make me smile. Love you.
ReplyDeleteWe love the pictures and your comments about the things you see. You make it so interesting and are so good about keeping in touch with everyone. It certainly helps to keep you close even though you are sooo far away from us. We will miss going to Utah for Easter this year! We look forward to visiting some of your favourite haunts when we do get a chance to visit you in Florida!
ReplyDeleteMiss you and love you to bits!.