Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Botanical Prints

I found this idea in Better Homes and Gardens: 
I usually don't do anything with the magazine except look at it.  
I knew that Florida was the perfect place to find flowers and leaves for the art.  I also thought this would be the perfect souvenir of our two and a half year vacation in Florida.  I know that I am going to miss the green around me.  So in my travels I have been on the look out for the perfect foliage.  The hockey rink has a lot of different leaves.  I think I might collect a couple from there.  Our neighborhood also has two leaves that I'm going to use.  I was thinking that a flower would be a nice addition.  
I have loved the bird of paradise flower since the first time I saw it.  It is so unique and truly looks like a bird.  So I have been looking around for one.  There is actually a pot of some artificial ones in the condo we are staying in, but I thought it might not be nice to spray paint their decorations.  I knew there were some by a gas station and some to an entrance of a neighborhood.  But that might be weird to go there to pick one.  
So today when I was coming home from getting the girls from school, on the road leading up to our road, there was one, just waiting for me.  I think it is public property since it is on a public road. Maybe?
Janiel had cleaned out her desk at school and so she had a pair of scissors in her backpack.  So with the girls on the look out, I dashed out and chopped off this lovely flower.  I hope I'm not charged with stealing.  I just picked a flower.  A lovely one.
 I felt a little guilty and sneaky.  But isn't it going to look wonderful as a work of art?  I can hardly wait to do it.  But now the questions is: where do I spray paint?  It is probably against the rules.
P.S.  I did do some research and the plant can produce up to 3 dozen blooms a year.  I don't feel quite as bad.  And they can be quite invasive if they aren't cared for.  I was just helping prune before the landscape workers pruned.

1 comment: