After trekking back to the car, we were in real vehicles again. The day before we walked 11 miles (I think). So the 2 mile hike seemed like nothing.
We got in cars and headed to Rock Creek Hollow, where the Willie Handcart company was stranded.
The hills were so red and rocky.
We just kind of imagined what the pioneers might have thought. I bet they were grateful for the water.
It was interesting and heartbreaking to hear of the struggles of the Willie Company as well.
They had spent their last bit of energy to cross Rocky Ridge. It was difficult terrain, with snow and wind pushing them. They crossed but at a loss. Thirteen people died in one night. They were buried in a mass grave, as there wasn't enough energy to dig more. The men who dug the grave died the next day and were buried nearby.
We learned that a man owned this land. He knew the pioneers were buried here and knew that the church would pay great amounts of money to own this land. The stake president of the area was given the assignment to try to acquire the land. The stake fasted and prayed that the land could be purchased. When he met with the owner, the purchase price was much less than it had been before. The church has made a great memorial for the Saints who suffered here.
The Remember Rock was dedicated to the people of the second rescue (those of the Riverton, WY Stake who did temple work for the members of the Willie Handcart Company). It includes dates when the former members of the First Presidency made promises to these rescuers.
We did get to change into normal clothes for the drive home. I was glad that we could so we could limit the amount of dust in our car!
Then we passed by some old buildings. Wonder how old?
Trek was a wonderful experience for us. I know the kids felt the courage and strength of the pioneers. I know I felt their spirit as we walked some of the same paths that they did. I was amazed at the stories of their suffering but enduring faith. I am so thankful that I could be a part of this.
The younger kids were able to go on a mini trek. It was just one day, but they also had a great experience.
Janiel was all decked out! The benefit of going on different days was that she could wear the same bonnet and skirt!
I would do it again in a heart beat!



That is really cool that you were able to walk in the same areas as the pioneers. Our kids do a trek and have fun, but I be the connection is a bit stronger when you can see the real place.
ReplyDelete