Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Grandpa Breinholt

This has been a hard post to write.  How do you even start to write about someone who has always been there?  95 years is a lot of time to cover.  I thought my sister, Heather, did a wonderful job.  Maybe I should just refer you to hers!  Read Heather's tribute here.
I have been truly blessed to have my grandparents part of my life.  I know I am one of a lucky few.  I had all four until I was 18.  But since then I have had three living, teaching, example showing grandparents to learn from.  When we went away to Florida, I wondered if we might need to make a trip back for a funeral.  But I was lucky and blessed then too.  Grandpa Breinholt was bound and determined to live longer than his dad, which was 96.  But the cancer was too much for his aging body to handle.  But I know that his spirit was pleased to make it to a day past his 95th birthday.
We were blessed to spend an afternoon with him.  His mind was sharp to the very end.  He knew all of my kids names...and there are 108 great grand kids and 53 grand kids and 10 children and spouses.  That is 181 people's faces and names to remember. He knew them all by name. Grandma said he would often sit on the side of the bed in the morning.  When she asked him once what he was doing, he said that he was going through the list of grand kids and great grand kids. 
 It was great to have a visit with grandma too.

 Grandpa was a war hero.  He didn't talk to us much about it until later years.  I know he saw things that were unspeakable.  Grandpa was a tank driver.  Grandpa was at the invasion of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. Grandpa was one of the first to save people from the Buchenwald concentration camp.
 
Look how cute Grandma is!
What a handsome soldier on the bottom left!
He was interviewed for many documentaries.  I love watching those.  (I know where I get my leaky tear ducts from!) He loves this country that he served. He was especially thrilled when a tank restorer found Grandpa's tank.  They were able to identify it though an old war photo and found Grandpa.  He took it for a spin and had a huge grin on his face!

 He loved gardening.  He always grew enough to share with the neighborhood and family. Even when it wasn't easy for him to garden, he was a great supervisor.
 

He loved scouting as well.  He had something like 25 Eagle Scouts pass through when he was scout master.  He earned the Silver Beaver recently.

He was a hard worker.  He worked as a brick mason.  Even when he retired and sold the company to my dad and uncle, he would show up on the job site, just to make sure everything was going okay. He knew how to fix everything.  And if he didn't have a tool or supply for the fix, he would jimmy rig it!
But more than working, gardening, scouting, and serving his country, he loved his family.  We were the joy of his life.  He loved family get-togethers and insisted on having camp outs every summer.  Then he just got too old.  I have fond memories of him whittling whistles, hanging swings from the branches and taking us on hikes.
But he loved Grandma most of all.  I love this picture as is shows the pure love of 72 years of marriage.
A trip to Hawaii.
 Never too old to kiss. 
But this one is the most tender of all.
This was a beautiful display of his life at his funeral.  

 They had a special service at the grave site.  He deserved it.


 
 Here is the link to the gun salute for grandpa.
It is sad to see him gone.  It is sad for Grandma.  She misses him so much. I am so thankful that I come from such great people.  It was wonderful to spend a Saturday at their house.  The kids helped Brent rake leaves while Janiel and I cleaned inside.  Then we had a wonderful visit with Grandma.  She is spunky with a love for family and God.  I am thankful to be their granddaughter. You are greatly missed, Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment