Thursday, November 21, 2013

Garden

We were so excited to be back to our house, back to our own yard (not that it is anything amazing) and back to our garden.  I missed growing food.  I actually kind of missed canning too.
We had a great garden.  We had lots and lots of corn.  We ate it so much that the kids kind of got sick of it.  Now they wish they had corn on the cob.  I have some frozen but it isn't the same.
 We also did tomatoes, red onions, yellow onions, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, and red peppers.  Perfect for making salsa, spaghetti sauce and stewed tomatoes.  I did several batches of each!



 The pumpkins also did awesome.  It seemed that the last few years that we did them, the squash bug got to them.  I guess we hid them well this year.  We got 24 pumpkins!  Enough for us and to share with neighbors, friends and family!

 And finally pears.  My visiting teaching partner has a pear tree.  She had more than she wanted to can.  So she gave some to me.  They were sweet and delicious.  I used all but one bottle to finish these.  So I took that as a sign that I was done bottling!
I'm not sure why taking a picture of all the jars is so rewarding to me, but it is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment